At Robinwood Orthopaedic Specialty Center in Hagerstown, MD, we offer preventative care, diagnostic services, and surgery for sports injuries. Our sports medicine doctors can help you avoid common sports injuries, such as elbow tendonitis, cartilage and ligament tears, Achilles tendon injuries, sprains, strains, fractures, and dislocations.
Avoiding Sports Injuries
How can you enjoy the fitness benefits of playing sports without getting injured? Always be prepared with proper equipment, clothing, shoes, and protective devices. It’s also important to take the time to understand and follow all rules and safety precautions. Before you begin playing, warm up and stretch properly. Practice and play smartly, particularly for mature and youth athletes, who may be susceptible to different injury types.
Caring for Injuries
Most sports injuries, like strains and sprains, heal on their own with some prudent home care. If you get hurt, stop the activity and apply RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) as soon as possible.
Once the swelling decreases, you can begin gentle range of motion exercise for the injured area. Rehabilitate your injury completely before returning to practice, competition, or activity, and when you do resume, start gradually. To prevent re-injury, consider protecting the area with special equipment or a brace.
Seeking Medical Attention
Get in touch with the professionals at Robinwood Orthopaedic Specialty Center as soon as you experience any of the following:
- Severe pain or pain that lasts more than two weeks in a joint or bone
- Significant swelling around a joint
- Inability to move the injured part
- Persistent numbness, tingling, or weakness in the injured area
- Signs of infection like pus, red streaks around injury, swollen lymph nodes, or fever
- Our diagnostic services such as X-rays and testing can accurately determine the issue and allow us to take the correct steps for treatment. We have both surgical and non-surgical options available.
Call today for an appointment!